Hedengren-led Progression

Saturday, 9-02-2006
45' Progression (15" faster/mile, every 15') for 8 Miles at Seabrook


Ugh.. almost injured myself again but it would have been well worth it. Showed up at Seabrook to run with Rudy and Chad, and lo-and-behold, Dr. John Hedengren shows up. So, while Rudy and John were planning on running long (about 12 miles), Chad and I were going to run a 45' progression, stepping down 15" per mile every 15'. My goal pace was 6'05-5'50-5'35" pace.

However, John and Rudy being the All-Americans that they are (3 All-Americans, John being the sole Senior All-American, in one run, can't get better than that in Clear Lake), they decided to jump into the progression. So, we head off, John pushing the pace. By 10' I am feeling the strain a bit, as we are close to 6' miles. Feeling like I have to get working after 15', I up the pace, and as Chad drops, Rudy and John, follow suit. John is just chatting away, but I am working hard, although still somewhat controlled. However, once we hit 25' or so, I really want to drop the pace, although I can barely change gears as we have been going hard for quite some time. John easily responds to the pace-change while Rudy falls back and John is obviously in control of the run. I stay about 2m back on John on the tight trail, fighting my left adductor from collapsing on the run.

The goal was to run out and back in 45' on our 8 mile course, but we are blowing that by, hitting 5'20" pace or so for the miles, and as we hit the cars in 35' we slow to a jog while John and Rudy get water, and I keep running, much slower, closer to 6' pace to find Chad, which I do and then run with him the remaining 7' or so.

Not a big confidence booster on my leg, but I was glad I pushed through this run. I really need to strengthen the adductor and make it understand what I intend to do in the near future in terms of intensity and duration. So, no real strain, but a 10 km race simulation followed by 10' of steady state sure made for a great morning effort. I truly was working hard. Great stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING

Strengthen