Bellaire Fall Fever 5 km

Saturday, 9-16-2006
16'05" for 5th Place Overall (1st in 20-29 AG)

Absolutely horrible. I guess if one lines up with 1) flu-like symptoms, 2) an injury, and 3) absolutely no work done in the last 4 weeks in terms of being capable of racing a 5 km, than I guess what you get is what I ran today. Oh, and throw in the horrendous weather (Chad) of 80-degrees and humid (74 dew point)... and you get sh!t.

I was amazed however, that I was able to move into second place overall after the short Mile in 4'17". I was blown away that I could be ahead of the likes of Brett Riley, someone who is in the peak of marathon training. Anyhow, I could never close on Junior Mitchell (bandit) and soon everyone passed me back, starting with Francisco Perez, Brett Riley, Gerardo Mora (who ran great), and John Yoder. I was expecting Bittinger to pass me at any second, but I truly could have cared less. I was wasted. I was like an inflated balloon starting out, slowly losing air and just waiting for the race to finish. I think I kicked it in, if you can call it a kick. I think "Mile" 1 to 2 was 5'23" and Mile 2 to 3 was 5'47", which was more like it. I figure my opnening mile was closer to 5'17" or so.

However, I am quite elated that the course was short because I will use the official time as my official fitness level. I figured I was in close to 16-min shape, and even though I ran nowhere near that effort, I cannot afford to train at a lower level than my 2h31' marathon personal best. We must always strive for improvement. F^ck complacency.

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING

Strengthen