Major Improvement

Thursday, 8-31-2006
43'31" for 7.5 Miles on Allen Parkway with 4.75 Miles in 27'43"

Whoa, Nelly! Was a bit worried about this morning's run as 1) I not only ran for 60' yesterday but a) got ART treatment on my adductor and b) did an hour session of Pilates, thus leaving my adductor feeling quite over-worked. Plus, I slept in with my wife and daughter and dreaded the traffic I would encounter. However, the weather was great and I was just needed to stick to my schedule and start challenging myself.

Saw Wade and Armenteros warming up while I warmed-up for 15' on the St. Thomas track and then I headed out for the 4.75 mile challenging Allen Parkway loop. Just two days ago, on Tuesday, I covered this beastly course in 29'33" and starting out on this run I did not feel I would even approach that time. I decided to run the course backwards to avoid injury and staleness, and headed out shirtless with shades in cool, but warming conditions.

Right off the bat I knew I was starting out more controlled than on Tuesday. I ran controlled down the backstretch, feeling some fatigue by 2 miles. I was actually worried I might not make it (my adductor), but by 3 miles I was feeling stronger with each stride and really focused on running well and tall. I checked one mile on the ground and noted that I was running 5'50" pace, which was not only a suprise on the hills, but great. Perhaps I would beat my time from Tuesday. Well, I powered by the finish (watching Wade lead the Rice group doing repeats of some sort) and clicked off 27'43" for the 4.75 mile loop! This caused me to tack on another 2+' of running on the St. Thomas track (44" 200m) for a total of 30' for the tempo effort. 27'43" equals right out to 5'50" pace for the entire loop! I have achieved my goal pace for this workout (5'45-5'55" pace) and am feeling proud of the effort. Now, my left adductor is quite weak and sore, but that is the price of hard work. Tomorrow is pure recovery (well-deserved), but mentally and physically I have taken a step in the right direction.

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING

Strengthen