Attempting Some Up-Tempo

Tuesday, 8-29-2006
43'50" for 7 Miles around Allen Parkway, including 4.75 Miles in 29'33"

Almost a mistake. My right quad was feeling better, but it was still tight, especially in the first 15' warm-up before I was going to take on the infamous Allen Parkway 4.75 mile loop. Actually, I was going to do this run on Memorial's 3 mile loop, but I figured, heck, Allen Parkway is perfect and even has hills! Well, it sure has hills. I started off on my 15' warm-up at St. Thomas High School, not feeling too confident. The little voice was telling me to postpone this run, that maybe I should introduce tempo next week, maybe in September... get some more running under your belt. But I have been feeling strong... why not?

So, I started off and immediately I hit a major downhill and my adductor is awake. Great. But my quad feels better at this faster pace. 1'26" through 1/4 mile and 2'56" through 800 meters. I am already feeling the strain of the hills and the course and the humidity and the fact that my legs are so freaking weak. I love hills to give me reality. I remember days of flying through this loop in the middle of a 24-mile run. Anyway, I hit 2 miles in 12'22" figuring I may end up running slower than my regular run at Memorial, so great job on the "tempo", Gaby. But I press on..

I go through periods of running smoothly, and then running painfully. I start falling apart at 3 miles, just enough to make me stop and stretch and re-evaluate my run. I get going again and hammer for home as best I can. I am feeling pretty good. I have to stop due to traffic at one point before 4 miles, but I am thankful and continue on... Kevin Landry honks at me, he must be thiking I'm running crazy hard, but my watch is reading 6' pace.. the goal was 5-45-5'55" pace.

I finish the 4.75 mile loop in 29'33" and bravely tack on another 27". I figured I averaged about 6'10-6'15" pace. Hey, it's a step in the right direction.

And I'll be back on Thursday to improve upon this time. Period.

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING

Strengthen