Back to Boston

Monday, 6:45AM, 10-09-2006
1h05' for 9+ Miles on the Seabrook Trails with Rudy Rocha
A great recovery run. Rudy and I were both a bit drained from yesterday's long run effort, but once we got rolling, we got into a good rhyhm on the trails working down from 7' pace to the 6'20's. All the while we chatted and controlled ourselves, but a good morning for running although it was a bit humid. Very nice to be able to run with someone out there on a regular basis. Great decision to drive out to Seabrook and resume my secret training. Good run.

Sunday, 9:45AM, 10-08-2006
1h45' for 15 Miles from Seabrook to Tuscan Lakes and Back
Crazy and old school. Met up with Rudy late after a great barbeque last night at my sister-in-law's. The weather was still excellent (in the 70's), so we opted for a later start than usual in place of more rest. Anyhow, Rudy said he had a nice 5M loop over the bridge and back to start off the run, so we headed out and then I said, you know what, why don't I show you where I'm building my house since you'll never drive out there. So, we decided on the run to run to Tuscan Lakes. I was planning on 16 miles, and I figured we'd be close. Pretty much it took us 5K from Seabrook to go over the Kemah Bridge and turn onto HWY 96. Then, 96 to the entrance of Tuscan Lakes was another solid 3 miles of straight, marathon-type running (we tried incorporating some pickups, but lost interest) on a straight road with the sun suddenly baring down on us quite hotly. We turned into Tuscan Lakes and hit the lot at close to 7.5 miles. After being teased about thoughts of water at Newmark Homes's office, we headed back, into a huge headwind on 96, but at least it was cooler and now overcast. However, I spent every minute searching for money on the ground so we could buy some Gatorade or water. No such luck. I truly felt like I was running a marathon, although my legs felt solid. I was so pleased that I had worn my new pair of New Balance 900's. Absolutely the best distance trainer of all-time. I got a second wind with about 2 miles to go over the bridge, but it was short lived and almost crashed at the finish. However, we finished, 1h45' and 15 miles later, sunburnt and pleased. Now that was a long run. That was exactly what we needed. Great.

Saturday, 12:30PM, 10-07-2006
1h05' for 9 Miles around the Seabrook Trails + 8 x 100 Meter Strides
What a great run. My legs felt completely solid with no issues of weakness or pain. I mapped out a nice course (5.5 miles + 3.5 miles) and it was great to have Madelyn and Perla out there on the trail. It really gave me a boost of running. Nailed my "Badger Miles" to the second on my course and finished up with 8 x 100m strides, which really shocked my system. The first couple of strides felt strong, but I am not kidding when I say that I have not run strides in close to a year. My quads were going to tear by number six and by number eight I was in fear of cramping. Perla videotaped the futile effort of running fast, but hey, a great day of running was done. Great training.

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING

Grinding It Out