2014 YEAR IN REVIEW

2013 ended with a complete rebuilding of my health, as I had struggled with a series of recurring calf strains and just overall misery. However, thanks to my dedication to physical therapy and relentless training, I got fit and ready to race in 2014.

Here are the numbers -
  • est. 2,500 Training Miles
    • average est. 45 Miles/Week
  • est. 250,000 Feet of Elevation Gain
  • 20 Race Efforts
    • 11 Wins with 9 Course Records
    • 16 MUT Races, 6K-50K
    • 4 Road Races, 5K-12K

The highlight of the season was the USA Mountain Championships at Loon Mountain in Lincoln, New Hampshire, in which I placed 20th Overall in one of my strongest runs, moving up the entire race, never giving up a placing. Winning the Haulin' in the Holler 50K Trail Race in West Virginia and the Dam Full Trail Marathon in PA, were definite stand-outs in terms of fitness and performance efforts with sizable course records and victories. Probably the most gratifying run, other than the US Mtn Champs, was the Turkey Trot 5K in York, in which I raced a strong 16:05.1 in frigid and icy conditions, sprinting like mad only to get out-kicked by three guys in the last 80m, but for a 36-year old, it felt good. Placing 2nd at my second La Sportiva Mountain Cup Race, the Assault on Garland Mountain, let me know that my Rothrock Challenge runner-up was no fluke. 

Finishing up the Walking Boss at USA Mountain Champs in 20th Place.
Crossing the Finish Line at the Dam Full Marathon Trail in Course Record time.
The low-lights of the year were definitely the Mount Washington Road Race and Pikes Peak Ascent. At Mount Washington, I underestimated the severity of my "broken" big toe and the lost mobility and strength in that foot, which left me for dead on the mountain. In PPA, I completely underestimated the altitude and running above 14,000 ft. I was in a solid position near 11,000 ft. and then my body just shut off and I was relegated to a half-hearted effort against my will. The other bittersweet moment was winning the M35-39 Hayes St. Hill Challenge at Bay to Breakers, but completely trashing my race until the finish. The best part about this trip was cresting the summit of Mt. Tam... absolutely gorgeous run.

Struggling up the Mount Washington Auto Road
The famous Mt. Tam... got in my first summit on a great effort, pre-Bay to Breakers.
Otherwise, from April until the end of the year, I was able to string together some very consistent training, if only hitting between 35-65 mi/ week. I seem to be able to still run very well on this mileage, and it was the right balance between fitness and avoiding injury.

Thank you, 2014. It was a great year and a step in the right direction. 

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING

Grinding It Out