Venturing Longer

And so, I came up with a wry question to myself the other day on a run (I think it was before my 13M Bordin Fartlek in 30-degree rain): "Are you training for Boston, or are you just saying that you're training for Boston?" Big difference there. And so, I am officially training for Boston.

So, after a nice weekend, I kicked off this week with a much-needed 20 Mile long run throughout Kennesaw Mountain National Park. As with most of my debut long runs for marathon prep, I started out way too aggressively, attacking all the uphills and downhills, and just enjoying the run, not realizing that I had over 2-hours of hilly running to do and that my muscles probably didn't have enough fuel stored/trained into them yet. Anyhow, I hit Cheatam Hill at 45-minutes, which was perfect, and then embarked on my first journey to Kolb's Farm, a 6-mile loop to finish off the complete National Park. However, my supposed "loop" proved to be too confusing and I got quite lost. Not only was I lost among Confederate souls, but I was already out 90-minutes or so and had no idea how far I was from home. I began to panic, if ever so slightly. Finally, after running around in circles and asking for directions, I found my way "home" and had a hellish final 4.5 mile run home. It was great. I finished quite beat up, especially my right hip tightening up on downhills with no coordination as my legs were pure jelly, but otherwise, it was great. Just what I needed. What I need is for 120-minutes to become mundane, to become normal. And this was a step in the right direction.

The rest of the week will follow with recovery days on Tuesday and Wednesday, then hard double-8M's on Thursday, which are absolutely maniacal runs. I run bloody hard, absolutely attacking the rolling and challenging course. I think I hurt myself this time around, but I can't take it back. But the effort I was able to give, twice in one day, is a sign that I am getting quite fit and strong. I'll be fine. I finally figured out a solid run, out-and-back, which I will from now on call 8M and Pigeon Hill.

Well, workout was a disaster, as my legs were absolutely raped from Thursday's double-8's. Don't know if it helped that I had to park 1.2 miles from the start, run to pick up my number, run back to the car, change, and run back to the start (so, 3.6 miles so far), oh, all in 17-degree weather. Anyway, I started out well, but within a mile I could tell I had no power. Nothing. Just not recovered. So, I throttled back and decided to enjoy the run as a "tempo", but some kid (without a shirt) that had led the first 800m, comes back to me, and goes into the lead. I let him go, wondering how hard my legs can go just to get the "W", as I know I have nothing in the tank, but after hearing my 2M split, I pick up the pace and run my last 4 miles a bit solid, although amazingly slow. After all this mountain running, I am not liking flat courses. I want some hills! Anyway, left leg held up fine, which was great, but my right quad was a bit non-operational, which didn't let me open up as I'd like, but then again, after 16 Miles at 5:20 pace on Thursday, I just was not recovered. At least I won. Streak is at two, but will easily end if I don't rest a bit more for these workouts, as I know I am in 32-minute shape, at least.

Rest for today and then travel to Seattle tomorrow with hopes of getting in as much running as possible, but it won't be much due to my work itinerary.

Monday, 2-05-2007
Noon: 20 Miles Steady in Kennesaw Mtn. in 2:14:01

Tuesday, 2-06-2007
AM: 6 Miles of Recovery at Kennesaw Mtn. in 39:36
PM: 6 Miles of Recovery at Kennesaw Mtn. in 42:14

Wednesday, 2-07-2007
AM: 6 Miles of Recovery at Kennesaw Mtn. in 40:27
PM: 6 Miles of Recovery at Kennesaw Mtn. in 42:44

Thursday, 2-08-2007
AM: 8 Miles Steady to Pigeon Hill Sign in 45:53
PM: 8 Miles Steady to Pigeon Hill in 50:45

Friday, 2-09-2007
AM: 6 Miles Recovery at Kennesaw Mtn. in 42:28
PM: 6 Miles Recovery at Kennesaw Mtn. in 41:35

Saturday, 2-10-2007
13 Miles Total with Chattahoochie Challenge 10K in 34:22
3.6M Warm-Up and 3.6M Cool-Down
5:14, 10:45 (5:30), 21:43 (10:57), 27:22 (5:38), 33:28 (6:06), :53

Sunday, 2-11-2007
4 Mile Recovery in Bothell, WA

Total
89 Miles

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING

Strengthen