Revamping My Training

Try and figure out what has changed in my training. I realized that I am very strong, aerobically, running on this mountain day in and day out, however, all this mountain running has left me lacking what makes a runner special: speed and intensity. So, I have re-focused my training and have decided to not run Boston this year, again. I will foucs on an early season 10K-Half Marathon strength based season not focused on times, but strength, and then transition into my first true track season, post-collegiately. The goal is to become a club national champion in perhaps more than one event, but that will be unveiled at a later date. Until then, here is my beginning training...

* My supervisor has been in town since Wednesday, and so my training schedule has been altered and rushed. I am not going to a totally intensity-based system. You should still see my mileage in the 90-110M range or more, depending on the week. The only issue I have not ironed out is my racing schedule. I just don't feel ready to line up and give a solid effort. Perhaps by early March. I will be working the Expo at the Gate River Run 15K and will be so tempted to run, so perhaps that might be a tempo effort. We shall see...

* Update: I think I got "ojo" from Sean Wade's blog when I read about his twisted ankle. On my drive to Alabama, I forgot to use my cruise-control stick and kept my foot on the gas for over 3 continuous hours, causing me to get major tendinitis/swelling in my lower shin. It is amazingly swelled up, but I have been icing 24/7. It absolutely kills when I run or walk, but since I know that I did not do this running, I feel I can train through it (and that was confirmed by Kevin Landry). So, I will not be doubling the rest of the week, but I will do my quality sessions in favor of more rest. Legs felt absolutely great (minus the shin) post-workout which sucks since my shin kills. Heck, when I'm finally 100%, something has to give.

* Decided to completely rest the shin. No running on Sat. and Sun. although I felt I could have... need to put his swelling to bed. Iced so much on Saturday, that I feared I might have lost my foot, as it did not regain circulation until late at night. Scary. :)


Monday, 2-19-2007
8 Miles Total including 40' Fartlek and 8 x 200M
Fartlek = 10' Easy, 1-2-4-2-1' Equal Recovery, 10' East
200M- 32, 36w, 32, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33 (35-second rest)

Tuesday, 2-20-2007
Travel back from Houston

Wednesday, 2-21-2007
AM: 5.5 Miles Recovery on Treadmill for 40:00
PM: 7.5 Miles Steady on Kennesaw Rd. & Mtn. in 48:38

Thursday, 2-22-2007
6 Miles Total, including 3200M + 5 x 300M Cut-Downs
15' Warm-Up, 2 x 100M Strides
3200M in 10:19 (5:07/5:12) (800M Jog Rest)
300 Cut-Downs in 52-51-51-49-47 (300M Jog Rest)

Friday, 2-23-2007
11 Miles Steady In-and-Around Kennesaw Mtn. in 1:11:46

Saturday, 2-24-2007 & Sunday, 2-25-2007
Rest

Total
38 Miles

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

Strengthen

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING