Rest & Recovery

ALPHA LEVEL 7, Week 1

Monday, 10-22-2007
5 Miles Easy around Marietta with Dave Howe in 32:59
Tuesday, 10-23-2007
5 Miles Easy around Washington D.C. with Jesse and Matt in 39:48
Wednesday, 10-24-2007
Sick, Fevers
Thursday, 10-25-2007
Sick, Fevers
Friday, 10-26-2007
10 Miles Easy around Washington D.C. with Liz Wilson in 1:11:10
Saturday, 10-27-2007
Off
Sunday, 10-28-2007
Work
Total
20 Miles

* Alright, post-Breakers Marathon. I will leave marathoning up to my wife. I entered this race mentally defeated. I exited this race knowing what it takes in terms of marathon training in order to line up for my next one. I was in the race, physically, for not even 5K, mentally not even from the gun. The weather, thoughts of my coaches/mentors, all pointed to "why do this race when you are so fit over 5K-15K?" I don't know, but perhaps for the challenge. Perhaps to finally race a marathon 100% fit (although not 100% trained for a marathon. So what do I need before Boston 2008?



  • Long, Hard Runs of 20+ Miles

  • Mileage of 120-140 Miles/Week

  • Secondary Long Runs of 15+ Miles

  • Races of 15K-20M

  • A Marathon in which I can RACE from the Gun at Peak Effort

If I can do the above, I will run another Marathon. If not, I will stay a Road Racer, minus the Marathon, unless I have the opportunity to line up at a Chicago-type race. I feel the mental demands must be equivalent to the physical demands, meaning that if I train at 4:50 pace, I need to race at 5:20-5:30 pace in a high-level marathon, not something so low-key. I am just not a true marathoner, and I won't lie, that bothers me, because I love the challenge.


Anyhow, I will press on, as that is all I know how to do. The goal remains what it has been: USA Club Cross Country Nationals in 7 Weeks. The goal there is a 30:20 Effort and help the Club contend for the championship. I will take a down week, but then I will be back on the horse, more determined than ever, switching over to some Dellinger training for the final 5 Weeks.

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING

Grinding It Out