Explanation

* And so, if you've noticed, I've had a change of plans for the Fall.... perhaps not a complete change of plans, but an addition to the racing schedule in an extreme direction. Since I made the decision to pull out of Chicago and focus on an old school Cross Country, I have been racing and training really well.

However, recently I was invited to partake in the Breakers Marathon in Rhode Island on October 20th, in a pretty much win-win situation in that I would not be out a single dime. Plus, it fits my work schedule beautifully, as three days later I take off to the Marine Corps Marathon Expo for a week of hellacious, non-stop, no rest, WORK. Why not trash my legs prior to MCM so that I can lose my obsessive-compulsive running habits and not be compelled to run in the dark streets of an uknown city and just hang out with my peers and family. So, case closed. I will race it and attempt a sub-2:25 effort, if all goes well.

Now, back to this week. It's been a rough training week, as I have been driving quite a bit this week and it has aggravated my right gluteus medius/hip flexor once again, plus, I strained my hamstring on a "recovery" run the day after my Belmont victory (reason #1 on why I hate running with others, I seriously train slow at times). And so, I don't expect much from the Mercer Invite 6K. I really wish it was an 8K, but now, after this training week, I'm pleased it's a 6K, as I am not on top of my game.

Belmont took a lot out of me, physically and emotionally. The field was top-loaded, with a handful of sub-14:30 guys and the weather and hills were not friendly. Plus, I had to be strong mentally since I drove the 3.5 hours to Nashville, visited four accounts, worked all day, and then lined up to race. On the line I remember telling myself, "you better make this race worth it" because I have been sacrificing a lot of sleep and rest in order to work, train, love properly. Anyway, it was a big win, as I was able to break the Kenyans and win by over 10-seconds quite handidly over a strong field, of which at least 2-3 of them will be making NCAA Division Cross Country Nationals. So, I'll take it, it was one of those days that I was just brutally strong. Everytime the Kenyans would surge, I would work my way back to close the gap and then instead of sticking with them, I would surge past and push the pace. I did this for 2 miles until they cracked. The last 800M was very ugly, but then again, I'll take it.

So, expect to see a minor increase in long runs and longer interval work once a week, and perhaps a noticeable increase in mileage for Breakers, but other than that, I'll just be on the road, literally.

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING

Grinding It Out