Dig

We all have a sickness
That cleverly attaches and multiplies
No matter how hard we try.

Great lyrics from Incubus. Pretty much defines what running is in my life. But the song goes on to explain how we all have someone in our lives that "digs" at us to keep us grounded, and that would be my wife.

Great workout this morning. Once again, a complete debacle in terms of locating a vacant track, but finally found one not in use and proceeded to improve upon this workout from last week. Good sensations, just not fast yet. Plus, I was a bit tired from yesterday's 7.5K at 5:35 pace on hills, but all in good time.

Big recovery run this morning, as my legs were quite fatigued from yesterday's effort. However, I can truly sense how strong my legs are getting with each healthy week passing. Very nice. Will get ready for tomorrow's medium long run at a nice steady clip... which went very nicely.

Pretty much 90' of working my @ss off on the Mountain. By far my best long run yet, legs incredibly strong, except, once again, the final 2K, when I get back on asphalt, just having a tough time adjusting. However, a quick stretch and I'm able to close strongly. The day I can hop off the mountain path and onto the roads and hammer will be the day I am ready to qualify for the Trials. Big time improvement on this long run (previous CR was 1:32:11), so I'll take it. Next two days will be recovery before my 5K in Houston in which I hope to run under 15:30.

* So, the race. Holy cow. Have I re-stated how I hate Houston's climate? It was absolutely miserable in Houston this morning. I awoke to storming clouds, close to 80% humidity and close to 80-dew point as well as 80-degree weather. A pure steam-bath. And so, I show up and am feeling quite sluggish (I have not been a good traveller of late). Actually, I feel like I am not going to run well, as my strides leave me sapped without energy. I had to warm-up in basically nothing because of the sauna-like conditions. Race start did not help, either, at 8AM.

Anyway, Rudy Rocha and Junior Mitchell show up. Two great runners, but two guys I hadidly defeated a month ago. However, Mitchell has been training well and is now being coach and advised (this would be my downfall). So, in the past I would allow for Mitchell to go out over his head, crash, and then I would pass him and win. Today, he sat on me. And so, I pressed the pace. 4:45 for the opening mile. Wow. I think I was done by 1.25 miles. My form was already getting ragged, my stride falling apart. By the turnaround at 1.5 miles, we were running together and Mitchell gapped me instantly. I caught back up by 1.75 miles, but then he would respond and pull away. I caught him once more at 2.25 miles, but again, he pulled away. By now I was running on one leg (my left decided not to function) and was worried if I would even finish. However, $100 was on the line and I needed it to pay for my daughter's birthday party... and so, I surged one last time at 2.5 miles and there it was: Mitchell was broken. I stormed home, on one leg, and put 14-seconds on him in a half mile to win in 15:50, and justify my participation with the money.

Sunday I was useless in terms of attempting a long run. We barely made it 40-minutes in once again, horrible conditions. Good riddance to Houston. At times, I cannot believe I trained and strived in this ridiculous climate, running up to 2.5 hours of workouts. I must have been crazy, just like I was crazy to run in college in Miami, an equally oppressive climate. Till next week...

Monday, 4-30-2007
9 Miles including 6 x 800M in 2:25-2:30 with 200M Jog Rest in 1:00:00
12:59 Warm-Up + 4 x 100M Strides
2:25 (1:03), 2:25 (1:08), 2:25 (1:16), 2:27 (1:24), 2:25 (1:23), 2:24
26:10 Run on Grass

Tuesday, 5-01-2007
10K Recovery on Gilbert Street in 40:50

Wednesday, 5-02-2007
14 Miles Steady to the Illinois Monument in 1:30:49
45:34 / 45:14

Thursday, 5-03-2007
10K Recovery on Gilbert Street in 39:04

Friday, 5-04-2007
5 Miles Recovery through Greymont in 32:59
16:24 /16:35

Saturday, 5-05-2007
AM: 10 Miles Total, including Village Fair 5K in 15:50
2M Warm-Up, 4 x 100M Strides
4:45, 9:55 (5:09), 15:18 (5:23), :31
3M Cool-Down
PM: 4 Miles Recovery with Rudy in La Porte in 27:08

Sunday, 5-06-2007
6 Miles Recovery on the Seabrook Trails in 40:52

Total
60 Miles

Popular posts from this blog

Shami Marathon Prep (WK 10)

Strengthen

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING